ISO 50 001 – Energy management systems
ISO 50001 helps the organization to manage its energy aspects and is fundamental for energy improvements.
Certification to this energy management system is an effective means to achieve credibility. Making buildings more energy efficient cuts costs, offers market-beating investment returns, and protects companies from rising energy prices. It is also important where effective energy management is a criteria for being approved as a supplier.
Compliance with ISO 50001 shall ensure the following:
- All important erergy aspects are indentified
- Control of the energy aspects to prevent a negative environmental impact
- Continuous improvement of energy aspects
- External recognition
- Better credibility associated with financing
- Increased credibility in relation to customers
- General cost savings by minimizing waste of energy
How does the certification process work?
The main purpose of the system audits is to identify potential for improvements of the organization’s energy aspects.
- The certification process consists of two phases:
- Phase 1 normally consists of a visit to the business in order to review the status of the organization, system documentation, infrastructure, etc. This assesses the maturity of the energy management system.
- Phase 2 is the certification audit aiming to verify that the system documentation meets the requirements of ISO 50001 standard. The certification audit will give feedback to the organization on issues that are not in conformance with the standard and that need to be corrected before a certificate can be issued.
The certificate will be valid for 3 years after being granted. During this period, annual surveillance audits will be conducted.