Mandatory Testing and Certification of Telecom Equipment in India
The Indian Telegraph (Amendment) Rules, 2017, provides that every telecom equipment must undergo mandatory testing and certification (MTCTE) prior to sale, import or use in India.
This is regulated through a scheme called MTCTE (Mandatory Testing and Certification of Telecom Equipment). MTCTE is designed to cover 37 types of telecom products along with other variants under each of these product types. Testing is carried out to check conformance with essential requirements of the equipment, by labs designated by TEC. Certificates are issued by TEC based on the test reports.
The MTCTE scheme is planned to be notified in approximately VII phases depending upon the testing infrastructure of TEC designated labs. Phase-I & phase -II are already notified covering 20 types of telecom products & phase-III is expected soon.
There are 2 types of certification schemes:
- General Certification Scheme (GCS)- Under this scheme, the applicant shall be required to submit test wise compliance along with test reports, in respect of parameters included in ERs, from any designated CAB or recognized CAB of MRA partner country. The test results shall be evaluated for compliance against respective ERs.
- Simplified Certification Scheme (SCS)- Under this scheme, the applicant must submit a test wise compliance sheet, along with a Self-Declaration of Conformity (SDoC), in respect of parameters included in ERs. All other rules/ procedures applicable in case of GCS shall apply in case of SCS, except that test reports are not required to be submitted by the applicant or evaluated by TEC. TEC, however, reserves the right to ask the applicant to submit a copy of the report in case it is required.
The technical regulations prescribed under this framework are in the form of Essential requirements (ERs) that include:
- Technical requirements (Including wireless / RF)
- Security: To be notified by DoT
- Other requirements: To be notified by DoT
How Nemko can help :
- To identify the applicable ER for your product.
- To identify the interfaces, present in your product as per the datasheet.
- One-stop solution for all your testing needs.
Products mandated(till yet) by TEC/MTCTE include:
- 2 wire-telephone equipment
- G3 fax machine
- Cordless telephone
- ISDN CPE
- Transmission Terminal Equipment
- PON family of broadband equipment
- Feedback device
Testing Charges at our laboratory :
|Parameter name||Standard name||Pricing||Remarks|
|IT Equipment - Safety requirement||IEC/EN 60950-1 or IS 13252-1||INR 110000/-||TEC Designated|
|IEC/EN 62368-1||INR 110000/-||NABL Accredited (Certificate no.TC-5574)|
|IEC/EN 60215 or IS 10437||INR 105000/-||NABL Accredited (Certificate no.TC-5574)|
|Battery -Safety||IEC/EN 62133-1 and 2 or IS 16046-1 and 2||INR 105000/-||NABL Accredited (Certificate no.TC-5574)|
|Mobile Device Indian Language Support||IS 16333||INR 35000/-||NABL Accredited (Certificate no.TC-5574)|
Flowchart for MTCTE procedure
Back to home